I am a twenty-something exploress from Seattle, WA. I graduated in 2010 with a BA in Journalism, and I’ve been writing and traveling ever since. I’m the Managing Editor for the The Exploress, and I absolutely love every minute of it! Since we can’t grab coffee (I’m from Seattle – everything is about coffee) I thought I’d answer some questions, here!
What are your favorite places you’ve traveled to?
- Glasgow, Scotland: Or really anywhere in Scotland.
- Dublin, Ireland – I’m forever in love Ireland.
- Berlin, Germany: The art, the culture. I want to live there.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: I’m a huge history nerd and fell in love with this city for it’s richness.
- Williamsburg, Virginia: Again, huge history nerd. Williamsburg was where I went for my birthday when I was 9 and it was life changing.
Who would be your dream travel buddy?
My mom. My mom is ridiculously analytical and organized, both traits I have to work really hard to maintain. She thinks of everything, and is spontaneous and fun. I would love to take an international trip with her someday.
What’s one thing you can’t live without while traveling?
Chocolate. You might laugh, but having a chocolate bar when your blood sugar is low is an absolute life saver.
What are some traditions you have while traveling?
- I’m visiting every country I’m ethnically from. Only two more to go: Norway and Denmark!
- I try spaghetti every place I visit (if possible). I also test McDonalds French fries if I can.
- I try to take dance classes whenever I travel, which has resulted in Bollywood (India), Traditional Scottish dancing (Scotland) and Cuban Salsa (England) thus far.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
I’m pretty creative by nature. I like to paint, sew, write stories and scribble poetry. I’m also in love with theater and dance, so I go to live performances whenever I can. When I’m out and about in life I love supporting small businesses and non-profits, writing snail mail and drinking unnatural amounts of tea while watching BBC.
Who inspires you?
Strong women who creatively overcome obstacles. Heroes: Barbra Streisand, Scarlet O’Hara, Wonder Woman and Anne Boleyn.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Anywhere and everywhere. Five years ago I didn’t have an answer, and five years from now I probably still won’t have one. As long as I feel like I’ve been being true to myself along the journey, and I feel fulfilled and free – I’ll be happy.
- Music: Ed Sheeran, James Arthur, Joan Jett, AC/DC, The Cranberries, Ella Fitzgerald,
- Food: Spaghetti, Indian food
- Animal: Giraffes, Foxes
- TV: Sherlock, Game of Thrones, Vikings, The Amazing Race